[Clipart] logo

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Feb 15 11:29:08 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 17:03 -0500, Nathan Eady wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 02:02:30PM -0500, Nathan Eady wrote:
> >
> >>Nathan Eady wrote:
> >>
> >>Known remaining problems [with the header]:
> >> * At resolutions less than about 850px wide, text overlaps.
> >> * We're back to having a worse-than-useless search box in
> >>   our header.  It doesn't work, even for finding the test
> >>   images that have been uploaded, but always just reloads the
> >>   front page.  Also, text typed into the search box is styled
> >>   with a system-default foreground and a site-specified background,
> >>   which makes it nearly illegible for me (if I have page colors
> >>   enabled) and is generally considered Very Bad Practice.
> >> * All of banner-html starts lower on the page than I would like;
> >>   it is not vertically centered on the colored header background.
> >> * On legacy browsers, most of the content of banner-html is not
> >>   visible except where it overlaps other text, and is not legible
> >>   there, nor is the text that it overlaps legible either, unless
> >>   the user selects it.  This is because it is positioned below
> >>   the colored bar, rather than on it.  Only the logo image
> >>   appears where it is supposed to.
> >

> > How difficult/important do you think it'll be to get these issues sorted
> > out?  The search breakage sounds fairly serious but I take it the others
> > are cosmetic?
>
> I don't know enough PHP to access the difficulty, but I can tell
> you that solving these issues is going to mean changing the PHP,
> not just the plug-in values.

Ok, just don't customize the php with clip art specific content on the
live site...the stylesheets and ocal specific pages, are fine, but any
of the major changes we should generalize. Hopefully Victor will get the
string editor checked in here soon so we can move on the text changes...

> Some are more important than others.  The most important ones, I'd
> think, would be the ones that make portions of the page illegible,
> i.e., the first and last ones on the list above.  After that, the
> search breakage is probably more important than the purely cosmetic
> issue, although I'd be tempted to solve it by styling the search
> box in the header as display: none; and putting a search box in
> a more sensible location.

I think we should leave this issue alone for the time being...

> However, *none* of these issues are as important as making .svg
> upload work.  Nothing else regarding ccHost is of any real value
> to OCAL until that particular issue is solved.

Agree...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org