[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library belonging to Open Office?

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Thu Jan 12 09:53:34 PST 2006

Tareq Kakar wrote:
> I see, so at least we share one agreement: Being against the US's war against the world. I'd be interested in having your response concerning following question:

AFAIK, the Open Clip Art Library has no position refarding US policy.
We, the members have each his own personal opinion.

> Would you approve of Open Clip Art Library taking in Nazi symbols? Would you approve that under your "free speech" argument?

Take a look at this:
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/signs_and_symbols/flags/historic/political
You will see he flag is categorized under "historic" and "political"
keywords.
Do you think nobody wanted to censor it? We think there are legit uses
for it, like a history documentary.

> Furthermore why did you, as you write, resist publishing "historical flags, body parts, religious symbols" in the beginning?

Because we believe in free speech.
By "historical flag" i implied exactly the Nazi flag and by "body parts"
the request for some people to censor nude pictures which we *may*
receive in the future (we don't have something like this yet)

> You know there cannot be absolute "free speech" and often that concept is hijacked for political purposes. I agree with open intellectual discourse in accordance with manners, but don't agree with a hijacked notion of "free spech". Listen, assume you're the director of a stadium and somebody wants to get into the stadium in order to shout "Fire... Fire!!!" Would you let him in because of "free speech"???
>
> Sometimes "free speech" is very harmful & coming back to our issue I'd say that it's rather better to remove symbols of the US military and also of other war mongers & criminals that are harming civilization & humanity. Also I don't agree with all the games that are created to glorify the US military. What's behind that? It's only a question of manner, humanity and some basic reason to gather the courage to say a clear & loud NO, NO, NO to criminals, butchers & enemies of humanity.

Look, i lived half of my life so far under a communist dictatorial
regime (this was a total of 16 years) without any real freedom, you
should understand why i am intolerant with the censure.