[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Jul 9 22:03:28 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 20:17 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 10:52:51AM +0300, Spyros Blanas wrote:
> > I haven't fully understood what you mean when you say 'merge OCAL in
> > Inkscape'. If you mean simply to provide a bundled clipart library with
> > inkscape (like most drawing programs have) I agree completely to that.
> >
> > If this is the case, we could also easily create a new tool which will
> > show a preview of all the cliparts and will insert a selected one into
> > the current drawing. Such tool would make Inkscape easier to use for
> > diagram drawing, for example.
> >
> > However, it is clear that when you say merging you also refer to OCAL
> > infrastructure (like ccHost). Did you actually mean that the Inkscape
> > team will take responsibility for OCAL and host it as well?
>
> Correct, the whole project would merge.  We can continue to provide
> "http://www.openclipart.org" as a redirect to the appropriate area of
> the Inkscape site, so links don't break and such.  But the mailing list,
> IRC channels, CVS modules, and file downloads would be moved over into
> the Inkscape infrastructure.  The bugs in OCAL's bugzilla would be moved
> into Inkscape's tracker.  The openclipart wiki would get moved into the
> Inkscape wiki.  Whatever portions of the openclipart.org site that don't
> get moved into ccHost, would be merged into the inkscape website.
>
> Bryce

I think that merging the two projects *completely* is not a good idea.
While I can see the benefits of merging some of the infrastructure to
gain new eyes and developers, I think that the off-topic discussion of
Open Clip Art Library on Inkscape channels (chat, wiki, web, lists) and
vice-versa, and the complete blurring between the two is problematic. If
anything, Inkscape has been so successful because it has had a clear
vision of becoming a compliant SVG editor. However, by completely
merging the two, I fear that we will harm develop of both projects.

I think that another plan which would work well would be to:

1.) get ccHost working with SVG and switch over OCAL to this
2.) clarify and simplify the mission of Open Clip Art Library (ie, no
more monthly package releases, and only have the community-based ccHost
site that deals with clipart)
3.) cross-brand Open Clip Art Library and Inkscape more between the
sites and in the documentation to gain more contributors

Anyhow, I can see where Bryce's proposal is good, but really think we
should maintain the ccHost installation still at openclipart.org. That
is my main concern with the proposal: clarity of vision and progress.

Anyhow, with that being said, is there anyone on the Inkscape lists that
would like to help the noble cause of getting SVG files working in
ccHost: http://openclipart.org/wiki/index.php/CcHost ?

I can help anyone who wants to help get this up and running.

I'm curious to others thoughts on my concerns, etc.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org