[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Sun Jul 9 23:49:47 PDT 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:

> I think that merging the two projects *completely* is not a good idea.
> While I can see the benefits of merging some of the infrastructure to
> gain new eyes and developers, I think that the off-topic discussion of
> Open Clip Art Library on Inkscape channels (chat, wiki, web, lists) and
> vice-versa, and the complete blurring between the two is problematic. If
> anything, Inkscape has been so successful because it has had a clear
> vision of becoming a compliant SVG editor. However, by completely
> merging the two, I fear that we will harm develop of both projects.

I think I agree with Rejon here and I'm pretty much an Inkscape zealot :p
My feeling is that a *complete* merge would increase the noise in many
areas: bugzilla, chat, lists. Imagine as a worst case scenario half of
the Inkscape bug tracker filled with OCAL entries.

> I think that another plan which would work well would be to:
>
> 1.) get ccHost working with SVG and switch over OCAL to this

Definitely. Having ccHost working, it can be deployed afterwards in any
other place, benefiting from the experience.
I think having one single ccHost install with 10.000 clipart images and
20 Inkscape tutorials, the tutorials would be totally undiscoverable.

> 2.) clarify and simplify the mission of Open Clip Art Library (ie, no
> more monthly package releases, and only have the community-based ccHost
> site that deals with clipart)

Completely agree, drop the OCAL packages, maybe make them an optional
add-on to the Inkscape releases (only with the SVG version, PNG
thumbnails are not needed in those packages).

> 3.) cross-brand Open Clip Art Library and Inkscape more between the
> sites and in the documentation to gain more contributors
>
> Anyhow, I can see where Bryce's proposal is good, but really think we
> should maintain the ccHost installation still at openclipart.org. That
> is my main concern with the proposal: clarity of vision and progress.

I want to say two more things:

- the domain name, openclipart.org has accumulated weight over the
course of the last few years in search engines and is linked from many
places, it  became a valuable asset, so I think is useful to keep it.

- I am too lazy to run any stats and see real values, but he had some (a
minority) contributors at OCAL using other software, like Illustrator (I
used to complain about their huge file sizes) so I wonder how a complete
merge would impact those people: attract them to Inkscape or alienate
from OCAL?

--
nicu
my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/