[Clipart] Re: [Cctools-cchost] checkin: ccHost 2.0 RC prep

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Thu Mar 30 10:01:18 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:26 -0800, Victor Stone wrote:
> This check in represents what is hopefully ccHost v2 RC.

Cool...out the door!

> I did a clean install on what's in CVS and found some (to be expected)
> minor bugs but otherwise things are humming along. (It would be greatly
> appreciated if some folks on this this did the same.)
>
> I've updated the installer scripts and I'm definitely open for feedback
> as I'm veering off into ccHost when I'm doing this stuff (I did not
> update the general README or NEWS)
>
> - In INSTALL.TXT I noticed a heavy emphasis on a UNIX based install
> where users have access to a UNIX command line and have CREATE DATABASE
> rights in mySQL. This is simply too much to assume for the vast majority
> of shared hosts web sites where often is the case that the hosting
> services gives them neither. So I split the install instructions into
> two sections "Simple" and "Advanced" with notes for both.

Great...I edited the rest of the docs. to suit.

> - I removed ALL mention of phpBB from the installer. At this point it
> buys us no features and nothing but heartache. I did put a note into the
> 'UPGRADE' section to contact me for the import script. (We'll see how
> many folks take me up on that.)

Cool...I wonder if we should make this available...I kind of wish we
would have included it in the bin/ folder...I missed adding this.

> After I get (just a little more) sleep I'll write up a 'new features'
> list to be included in the release and on the WIKI.

Ok, I've updated the wiki...maybe you can comb through the sf.net
feature requests and bugs and add notes/update what is there. I already
closed some of them out.

> Other notes:
>
> Per ccMixter user request I've added a quick and dirty 'archives'
> feature, mentioned here:
> http://ccmixter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10631#10631

Great, how is this feature exposed to users in cchost? I worry that some
of these killer features you might know about, but are not completely
visible to users...

> I think the ratings admin panel is done.

Awesome!

> VS

Ok, now time to see if we get more downloads of cchost 2.0. I put a
bunch of energy into maximizing the news about this release, and hope
that pays off in more interested developers and downloads of cchost 2.0.

Jon