[Clipart] Does openclipart.org have invalid SVG content?

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 11 06:20:08 PDT 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 12:25 +0100, Stephen Silver wrote:

> > You need to add the correct document type: many of the files are
> > SVG 1.0 rather than SVG 1.1, and you will get a validation failure
> > if you add the wrong one (because the DTD will conflict with the
> > 'version' attribute).

> Hmmm...is there an option for this on the validator to pick up the right
> doctype prior to checking the document...or should we pick one solid
> doctype for our collection and make sure all our clipart conforms?

The correct doctype should be added to the file before validation,
after stripping out the non-SVG stuff, as per the spec.  The correct
doctype can be determined by checking the 'version' attribute (and
if there's no 'version' attribute, then either of the two standard
doctypes should be OK).

> I think SVG 1.1 should be what we support.

Why not support both SVG 1.0 and SVG 1.1?  Admittedly, they are
almost the same thing - but converting SVG 1.0 to SVG 1.1 still
seems like an unnecessary complication.

> > The SVG 1.0 and SVG 1.1 specs have appendices on conformance
> > criteria.  Have you looked at these?  It's similar to what you
> > are doing, but not quite the same, and you are probably getting
> > validation errors on many files that are in fact conformant.
>
> Oh, could you help us sort this out? Would you like to help us
> develop this tool?

You can already find many non-conforming files using the SVGscan
tool I developed for this purpose.  Nothing is done about these
files.  There isn't much point in developing another tool to find
even more broken files until there is a system in place to deal
with them.

That said, it would be good to have a tool that checks for SVG
conformance (and this involves much more than just checking that
a suitably modified copy of the file is valid XML), and I may
be willing to help with this at some point.  But right now the
priority for OCAL has to be to develop a system for dealing with
broken files, rather than developing a more refined method of
finding them.

--
Stephen Silver