[Clipart] Does openclipart.org have invalid SVG content?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Oct 10 20:33:49 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 12:25 +0100, Stephen Silver wrote:
> Ruud Steltenpool wrote:
>
> > Does openclipart.org have invalid SVG content?
>
> Yes.  It ought to all be conforming SVG, but I know that much of
> it isn't, and this is something that needs to be fixed.
>
> > I've coded something that filters 'extra' namespaces out,
> > to not choke the W3 validator (also add &doctype=SVG+1.1 to
> > circumvent "error: no doctype").
>
> You need to add the correct document type: many of the files are
> SVG 1.0 rather than SVG 1.1, and you will get a validation failure
> if you add the wrong one (because the DTD will conflict with the
> 'version' attribute).

Hmmm...is there an option for this on the validator to pick up the right
doctype prior to checking the document...or should we pick one solid
doctype for our collection and make sure all our clipart conforms?

I think SVG 1.1 should be what we support.

> The SVG 1.0 and SVG 1.1 specs have appendices on conformance
> criteria.  Have you looked at these?  It's similar to what you
> are doing, but not quite the same, and you are probably getting
> validation errors on many files that are in fact conformant.

Oh, could you help us sort this out? Would you like to help us develop
this tool?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org