[Clipart] CChost: Imbedded images in SVG's

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 13 10:27:33 PDT 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:

> Hmm...I think its a good idea to reject SVG with the image tag...

Even if the image is contained in the file itself?

> I think though we need some file checking procedure in ccHost to do
> some purification, more validation, etc. What do you think?

I think there needs to be some sort of checking, because SVG files
with various problems are submitted, and they ought to be flagged
(and, if possible, fixed) rather than just added to the collection.

Some time ago I wrote a Python script to check for some of the more
common problems:

  http://www.argentum.freeserve.co.uk/svgscan.zip

In theory, the -ocal option for this script is supposed to select
the tests that should be used for OCAL files, but in reality I
don't know what things OCAL wants to test for, so this probably
needs to be changed.  Currently the script has no option for
detecting image tags in general, only those that I considered
a problem: those that link to an external file or have a strange
MIME type.  Of course, it would be easy to add an option to
find all image tags.

A full test for SVG conformance would be good.  My script doesn't
do this, and I don't know of anything that does.

--
Stephen Silver