[Clipart] Old Books with illustrations

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Apr 27 23:16:00 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 21:36 -0400, Russell Ossendryver wrote:
> >Now whether someone downloading an image, making a sketch of it using
> >their favorite SVG editor, and then uploading it to OpenClipArt.org is
> >covered under their personal use clause, is up for debate.
>
> Yes that is a debate :)  I would think that one can. I little futher
> investigating, they are charging a commercial fee for High Resolution
> image  they will deliver.
>
> The public domian images scanned are available from many other sources
> who have also scanned the same image. For example:
>
> http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?keyword=Brookshaw%2C+George%2C&submit.x=20&submit.y=13
>
> http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=GGLJ%2CGGLJ%3A2006-47%2CGGLJ%3Aen&q=+George+Brookshaw&btnG=Search+Images

That's what it sounds like to me. If really curious ask on the
cc-community list for clarification: http://creativecommons.org/discuss

To me, and I'm not a lawyer, the statement by NYPL sounds very badly
crafted. I think Russell is right on with this point though that it is
public domain, but they charge a fee for any services to copy, provide
and I think are weakly confusing people to feel like they have to use
their service...

I think proceed!

Jon