[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Upload Flagged

momo momo at lumenstudio.net
Sat Apr 28 20:08:51 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan" <ryan at lennox.com.au>
To: "'Martin Owens'" <doctormo at gmail.com>
Cc: <fwd2clipartlist at rejon.org>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 12:42 AM
Subject: RE: [Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Upload Flagged

> But how can the image be truly "Public Domain" then if you can use every
> part of the image, bar the trademarked logo. The main purpose of making
> all
> the cliparts PD is that people can take any part of an image and use it
> wherever they want. Someone may take the memorystick logo and use it for
> something else, not realizing it is a TM and get themselves into hot
> water.
>
> However, I don't think that Sony has a TM on the shape of the MS like
> apple
> has on the ipod, so we may be able just to remove the logo and have a
> great
> piccie of a stick of flash memory in the collection...
>
> Cheers,
>
> ryanlerch

It's true, SONY has no patent on the shape of a memory stick as it is a
media format that is produced by more than one manufacturer (see here for
example a memory stick made by Sandisk
http://evnet.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/11215885/Sandisk_Memory_Stick_512MB_PRO_Due.html)

So reincluding the memory stick clipart without the SONY logo and the MS
logo is the right thing to do. If someone would then need to add the logos
to that clipart, he can do this by itself (see here:
http://brandsoftheworld.com/search/?query_id=14295829&page=1&mtype=&brand_id=21188
and here:
http://brandsoftheworld.com/search/?query_id=14295846&page=3&mtype=&brand_id=3198).

Molumen