[Clipart] How d I download the full version

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Aug 8 00:11:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 23:45 -0700, Greg Bulmash wrote:
> Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> > With the high number of images gathered, the download would be quite
> > big, so is questionable if we really want to have one such "download
> > all" package.
>
> Yes, but it's just bandwidth, and once the package is compiled and
> compressed, it's significantly less bandwidth than serving up the same
> number of images untarballed along with all the surrounding page html.
>
> On top of that, downloading the one tarballed file is a single http file
> request that is a lot less server intensive than all the PHP execution
> and SQL queries that accompany someone browsing the collection.  Plus
> the tarballed file can be served from mirrors to minimize impact of the
> bandwidth use.
>
> I think the biggest challenge is finding enough people with enough time
> and serendipity to put an editorial spin on compiling the packages in
> some sort of meaningful way.
>
> - Greg

Yes, btw, the main reason of our last server problems from fd.o was that
our package downloads were hammering the site...

So, if you really want all files currently, slurp the /people
and /contests folder and /incoming for .svg ;)

Yes, we need help on this? I need to resolve the issue on having a
mirrors setup on our downloads, which is just stuck with me as the
bottleneck once more...yes, need more helpers please :)