[Clipart] Xara working with Inkscape

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Nov 1 09:38:33 PDT 2007

Or, you just run out of money and not realize the value trade in open vs
closed...

All is well...

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 09:23 -0600, Alan wrote:
> Good article.  It's too bad it happened, but I sense that's the writing
> on the wall for a lot of and perhaps even all closed-source companies.
>
> You play well with others, or you don't play at all.
>
> Alan
>
> Greg Bulmash wrote:
> > Before you get excited, read this...
> >
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/119790
> >
> > "On October 11, 2005, proprietary software maker Xara announced its
> > plans to open the source code to its flagship vector graphics package
> > Xara Xtreme, and with the help of community developers port it to Linux.
> > Today, two years later, the project is stagnant and on the verge of
> > irrelevance..."
> >
> > Then again, it's been 7+ months since the last stable release of
> > Inkscape.  I won't use the dev versions anymore.  The last time I did, I
> > spent an hour on a drawing only to watch Inkscape crash when I tried to
> > save it.
> >
> > So while this may be neat news, it's of little consequence.  Xara's
> > regarded as dead and Inkscape may keep announcing new features, but
> > they're as worthless as snot until they're part of a stable release.
> >
> > - Greg
> >

> > Alan wrote:
> >
> >> Xara and Inkscape are working together.
> >>
> >> http://www.nabble.com/Xara---SVG-translator-project-t339799.html
> >>

> >> For you graphic designers out there, this could be fun.
> >>
> >> http://www.xaraxtreme.org/screenshots.html
> >>
> >> http://www.xaraxtreme.org/
> >>
> >> Current state as given by Xara.
> >>
> >> http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2562&nav=0,433,438

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.