[Clipart] were there any really great reasons for PD at openclipart?

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:27:38 PDT 2008

After reading Jon's reply, I'm not sure that enforcement is really an
issue.  You don't have to enforce a non-PD license.  The author does.

CC mixter allows various licenses, so does Wikimedia Commons.  What I
find frustrating about both is that you can't limit your search by
license, so you end up finding something you really like only to scroll
down and find out the license isn't good for your intended use.

On the other hand, you have to consider that a wider variety of licenses
opens you up to a wider variety of contributors, and not every consumer
of free content needs it to be PD.

The thing with PD is that it's drastically simple for users... no
licensing restrictions, no credit required, just use it and be happy.
It's the most end-user friendly option available.

But a lot of creators of free content need *something* in return, even
if they don't get money.  With CC-By, the end user has to credit the
creator, so they get that benefit.  With PD, all the creator is
guaranteed is a warm fuzzy feeling for having done something good.

- Greg