[Clipart] were there any really great reasons for PD at openclipart?

Tobias Jakobs tobias.jakobs at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 19 15:26:02 PDT 2008

Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 11:27 -0700 schrieb Greg Bulmash:
> On the other hand, you have to consider that a wider variety of licenses
> opens you up to a wider variety of contributors, and not every consumer
> of free content needs it to be PD.

Yes, in the beginning I thought it could limit the contributions. But
now we have more then 14000 images...
And look at the quality, there are really nice peaces in out collection.

> The thing with PD is that it's drastically simple for users... no
> licensing restrictions, no credit required, just use it and be happy.
> It's the most end-user friendly option available.

Yes, and that is the reason I like it to be 100% PD. As a user I don't
need to care. I can but in to my local files, and don't need to remember
where it is from and what licence I need to care about.

> But a lot of creators of free content need *something* in return, even
> if they don't get money.  With CC-By, the end user has to credit the
> creator, so they get that benefit.

And the user has to add a line to every letter where he uses the
clipart. Think about where and how cliparts are used. CC-By would even
be more restricted then the licence Microsoft uses for there clipart.

> With PD, all the creator is
> guaranteed is a warm fuzzy feeling for having done something good.

And he gets the reputation on openclipart.org. If he needs more that's
OK, but then he has to chose an other side.

Regards,
Tobias