[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] clker.com - part 2

rygle pittos at post.com
Thu Feb 7 20:34:13 PST 2008

noreply-39 wrote:

> i just discovered that another website is using (pillaging more like) OCAL
> - the website i'm talking about is http://www.clker.com/
> - Is this website allowed by you - or do you have any connexions somehow ?

I am not linked with Clker, but I think they are within their rights to copy
the artwork, since all the OCAL artwork is dedicated to the Public Domain.
Actually, OCAL were recently bragging that lots of their clipart had been
included in a commercial package.

noreply-39 wrote:

> - Could you use the same search engine - as this website - cos its way
> better there.
>
> - Same for the way clker.com allows user to rate each clipart from 0 to 10
> - that could really be a good thing for OCAL

Yes, I think something similar to both of these would work well. I am
disappointed that OCAL doesn't even allow Google images in very well. And it
doesn't allow a search plugin to be made easily for either Firefox 2 or IE7
- the exception here is if you use the Firefox plugin "
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682 Add To Search Bar ",
which is excellent.

noreply-39 wrote:

> What i miss though, is that OCAL is based on the author's contribution -
> we have a profile page and are able to manage our files, delete them etc
> ...  which is great - clker.com doesnt offer this features (its just like
> a mirror of OCAL) - as far as i could see. And from the author point of
> view this is a bit disappointing.

Yes, that's sad, but also part and parcel of Public Domain AFAIK.