[Clipart] php dev

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Tue Jun 24 07:27:21 PDT 2008

Bassel Safadi wrote:

> sure, thumbnails are very important, but I'm a little confused about

That is the most requested feature, both by our users and contributors.

> starting, noticed that version 5.0 is coming, maybe there is a deadline
> or some thine. but no prob

I am not up to date with ccHost development, but I am under the
impression version 5.0 is expected for quite some time already.
However, I think we (OCAL) are willing to run a development version of
ccHost if it bring some important features (and we are willing to be a
test area).

> I don't have much time to review every thing to get answers, so just
> need to make sure that every thing is ok ;-)
> first I suppose you store files (svg images) in the filesystem not in
> the database it self, and the created thumbnail will be stored in the
> filesystem also.

Yes.
For example this is a SVG file:
http://openclipart.org/people/nicubunu/nicubunu_Game_baddie_Ninja.svg
and the manually created associated thumbnail
http://openclipart.org/people/nicubunu/nicubunu_Game_baddie_Ninja.png

> would you briefer using gd or imagemagic for the converting, from my
> point of view I see gd much faster, now are we gonna create thumbnails
> on the fly or  will store cached copy?

A problem is that neither gd or imagemagick support a lot of SVG
features (which our clipart may use), for for the best accuracy using
inkscape in command line mode may be the number one option.

> I think we must offer both options, for example:
> 1-a user has a fast processor on his server but don't have much disk
> space, he doesn't want every single image on his site to be stored in
> multiple formats and sizes so he/she enables the ( on the fly thumbnail
> creation mode ).
> 2- another user need a cached copy of the thumbnails so he don't enable
> the ( on the fly thing ) ;-)
>
> then we need to make a php script that we give to the current users, so
> they convert their exciting svg and create thumbnails for their older
> uploaded images..

A somewhat related problem is that even when we provide thumbnails
(created and uploaded manually), ccHost does not show them when browsing.

> by the way I'm in #cc now and no body is talking,

An important step is that you caught Rejon's attention here, he used to
be (when he had more free time) an ccHost developer.... Currently I fear
ccHost is mostly a one man project (Victor Stone)

> Thank you all again..

Well, thank *you*.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/