[Clipart] other newbie question: how does the thumbnailing work internally?

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Tue Apr 28 06:30:21 PDT 2009

On 04/28/2009 04:05 PM, Schrijver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been eying the discussions about thumbnails; I also read it on
> the roadmap:
> ‘Add graphical thumbnails to all clip art’
>
> But I don’t really understand how this works now, There is no script
> that programatically produces thumbnails server-side? So the thumbnail
> has to be added to the upload, i.e. as an extra PNG file?

Currently this is the ugly way we have to take. But I heard someone was
working on it, have no idea what happened.

> What is the current method of implementing them than?
>
> Question 2:  Are the thumbnail files the same as the preview images?
> (the ones you see when you click to see the details of an image)

Yes.

> Because I was going to suggest for those to be much bigger, like 512px
> or something; but that would not go well together with being thumbnail

People are lazy, providing large raster versions would discourage people
to get the vector versions, thinking that what they get is "good enough".

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/