[Clipart] CC Zero + OCAL?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Mar 2 23:51:49 PST 2009

hahaha ;)

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
>> Hi all, CC is about to formally launch CC0 (pronounced Zero), and I
>> was asked if we would like to be a launch partner. This would be very
>> good press and give us some love.
>
> I do not like *yet another CC license*, there are already too many of
> them and too different, creating much confusion.
> I can see people saying: "use the clipart from openclipart.org, it is
> free, licensed as CC" and the inherent question "what kind of CC? NC-ND?"
>
>> Right now, there are claims that the current cc public domain
>> dedication only works in the USA, and really is used, as we do, to
>> release works into the public domain. In europe this is a bit more
>> complicated because there are database and moral rights in some
>> jurisdictions which effect if something may actually be released into
>> the public domain (if that legal concept works in a jurisdiction).
>
> The good thing about PD is that people already have an idea about its
> meaning.

The problem is that current CC PD is not completely locked down
legally even in your jurisdiction Nicu. Rather, I think my first
proposal still is best approach after talking this over with my cc
colleagues. Basically, everything before a time used CC PD, and new
uploades default/only option is CC Zero. CC Zero is an improvement
upon what we are using current CC PD to do.

Jon

http://rejon.org/