[Clipart] More ‘Public Domain’ Whims

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Tue Mar 24 03:21:07 PDT 2009

Related case I bumped into recently…

I don’t have a clue why he thinks you could do this?

1. Former hacker releases his ASSCI art into Public Domain,
Original post does not mention any copyleft license, ( http://www.roysac.com/blog/2006/07/important-decision-made-regarding-my.html
  )
2. Then

> Update on August 24, 2008. I had to refine my statement from July 6,
> 2006 to be a bit more specific when it comes to the use of my
> artwork. I not only released my artwork into the public domain and
> made it common property, but also require that anybody who creates
> copies or derivations of my work must release those free also (under
> the same licence, which is the Free Art Licence (FAL) 1.3 (Copyleft
> Attitude)). I also updated the logo to reflect this clarification.

( http://www.roysac.com/default.asp , near the bottom)

First he says: it is public domain, you are free to use it
Secondly: oh and yes, you are not free in how to use it

And he just tacks on the FAL licence…

He himself in his original announcement, was is kind enough to warn
the reader:

> If you think about giving up your copyright for something to release
> it into public domain, be warned. Released is released. You can not
> "regain" protection for something that was officially released into
> public domain.

I’m no copyleft expert, but this does not make sense, no?

Eric