[Clipart] Main online Website "Quick Stat" discrepancy?

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:51:44 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would guess so. Best person to ask would be George Lucas. I don't know
>> how copyright works with fictional characters on paper, film, in person,
>> converted to clipart works as opposed to photographs and designs (which I do
>> know some of).
>>
>> If someone makes a clipart of me do they need my permission?
>>
>> Or when we say Darth Vader do we actually need to say Darth Vader
>> Copyright LucasFilm 1975-2009 ?
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Greg Bulmash <
>> oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Going off on a tangent, but wouldn't a Darth Vader character violate
>>> Lucasfilm's copyrights and possibly trademarks too?

> Found something that might be of use.
> http://www.publaw.com/fiction.html
>

> --
> Cheers
> Chovynz

Here you go. Second Paragraph. Ownership.

http://www.lucasfilm.com/terms.html

So the simple answer, is yes, That lovely Darth Vader character that Nicu
made (on a website serving public domain images, available for anyone to
give away and use to sell and make money from) would probably not be allowed
by Lucasfilm.

Sorry Nicu. However it is important to raise this issue. This precident
means we can't have famous characters (Donald Duck, MickeyMouse, Bambi,
Darkwing Duck, DragonballZ, James Bond, Starwars, etc) with their EXPRESS
PERMISSION. This has always been a bane of Clipart, I feel, however there's
nothing to be done about it.

Except:
1) Get permission for the Darth Vader Comic character.
2) If unsucessful, delete it from the database.

--
Cheers
Chovynz