[Clipart] BETA OCAL Help Out page changes + navigation ideas

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:57:43 PDT 2009

I disagree in part about the Sets. They are collections of clipart, custom
made by users. We'll probably end up having lots of them. Also, with the new
tags and searching capabilities,  there isn't much difference between
looking at the tags of various things and having those sets. e.g. looking up
tag=fruit or tag=borders or tag=umbrella. The tag lists will stay current
whereas the Sets can't grow unless the original author keeps them updated.
As we know human nature, I can guarantee that many sets will become stale. I
think that many people will be enticed by the new "toy" for a little while,
then when they figure out to do advanced searches they'll abandon the "Sets"
for general things and just stick to tags. From then on I can see that
people will use set's for...Their favourites...or clipart with a particular
style (e.g. icons with black outlines) - styles that can't be tagged easily.

My thoughts: the sets should go under the new "Clipart" nav button, since
they are specifically related to clipart "sets". It keeps the nav simple,
together, makes sense,

:)

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Michael Krnac <michaelkrnac at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Thats an awesome structur!
>
> I always want to remove upload and download from the main navigation bar.
>
> Ok lets do it like that.
> Maybe shine bigger "not normal" buttons on the Browse Page in the sidebar.
> With links to Upload and Download Page
>
> I think Sets should still be a main navigation Point.
>
> I like the idea about Information and Help you have chovy.
>
> Struct every words you have for this Sites and send them to me.
>
> Michael
>

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tobias, I've been thinking about what you said.
>>
>> A restructure would work. We could group them under general buttons:
>> *News      Clipart          Information*          *Help*
>>
>> *News* - no change
>> *Clipart* - goes directly to browse, with submenus of:
>>
>>    - Sets
>>    - Upload
>>    - Downloads
>>
>> *Information* - goes directly to About, with submenus of:
>>
>>    - People
>>    - Get Involved
>>    - Forums (in the distant future)
>>
>> *Help* - the new help page I'm thinking of
>>
>> What do you all think about this?
>>
>> It sounds like you guys do want the help page on the Beta Website? Am I
>> reading your responses correctly?
>>
>> Forums: I see forums as a possibilty in the future, however my focus is
>> getting the Beta Version released. Since I'm not working directly on the
>> website by coding and programming, I can't say when we'll be able to
>> approach including Forums...but that idea is not forgotten.
>>

>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Tobias Jakobs <
>> tobias.jakobs at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Yes, the idea is good. But I think we are getting to much buttons
>>> there. We alseady have 8 and usuly the usabitlity rukle is not to have
>>> more then 7 items in an menu. Perhaps the best idea is to restrucrure
>>> the compleat menu.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tobias

>>> page