[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 62, Issue 16

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Fri May 15 12:11:49 PDT 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 11:57 AM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org
wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:44:19 +0200
> From: Michael Krnac <michaelkrnac at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Some thoughts about OCAL design
> To: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> Cc: Open Clip Art Library list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
>
> We use the oranges to Explain the diffrence between original Clipart
> and
> Remix.
> For "old" OCAL Members the words are enough so we can simply add
> Text Links.
> But for New users it is not so easy to understand, whats the diffrence
> between original and remix.
> I hope we get there an explaining comic from nicu soon.
>
> One of our goals is to get new users.
> Thats why we want to make it as clear as possible.
> We use the oranges here:
> http://216.40.235.204/cchost/view/media/upload
>
> I think the oranges on the Box are too big they are like footballs,
> i like
> the old version with the smaller oranges more.
> We use the oranges to Explain the diffrence between original Clipart
> and
> Remix. For "old" OCAL Membe...

I still think we are missing a whole category of uploads.  These
indeed make up the majority of my uploads.  These are not original
designs that I created nor do I remix items from OCAL.  These uploads
are mechanical extractions and cleanups of public domain images.  I
cannot and will not take credit for these as a designer (when they are
my creations I upload them as my own).  Currently we upload them under
the category of "external source".  Perhaps this is an issue of
semantics - the original music orientation of ccHost still has us
using some terms more clearly related to that - remix being one.
Traditionally in art we would call remixes - derivations, now we might
call them mix ups. So I guess the problem might be that we consider
the person who uploads the file to be the creator.  I suppose I am the
creator in that I brought the SVG file into existence, but modesty
prevents me from taking much credit for that simply mechanical act.
Also this does not address items that are just moved over from some
other site like Wiki Commons.

Thanks,

John Olsen