[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 62, Issue 19

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Sun May 17 14:36:41 PDT 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Jon Phillips wrote:

> I respect what you guys are doing too! So I'm just weighing in...you
> guys are kicking so much ass, I hate to throw up any barriers and want
> you to keep rocking out!
>
> I'm so excited to see the progress.
>
> My comment is mainly to say, its good to make some things generic in
> the interface so that it doesn't influence the uploads too much...what
> impact would there be if oranges and fruit used as metaphors across
> the site is the question I'm asking...however, keep plowing!
>
> Jon

I agree.  This is a case where i do believe "form following function"
is important.  Any images used should support the ideas they
illustrate, not just act as decoration.  The images need to be a non-
verbal communication of the concepts they illustrate.  So one needs to
use metaphorical images carefully.  The theme can end up distracting
from the clear communication of the idea.  Perhaps you should look at
the problem from the other end - what concepts need to be illustrated
and what images would best do that.   Maybe the upload button just
needs to illustrate art being uploaded and the remix one just needs to
show art being mixed up or reimagined.

John