[Clipart] Odd upload. Need advice, Susan Boyle fansite CD cover.

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Sun May 31 16:22:58 PDT 2009

On May 31, 2009, at 2:35 PM, chovynz wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback John.
>

> Just because we have images in the library that are "not-clipart" is
> not good grounds to continue doing allowing them to be uploaded. Can
> you show me these non-cliparts or be more specific about what you
> mean? I would like to see them so I can help clean up the Library - if
> needed. (The Example tagged files are fine - I went though them
> before.)

Admins have not judged the merits of what was uploaded in the past
just as they have not judged the worthiness of a clipart based on
quality.  To be frank, there are some very amateur submissions in the
library but we let them stay.

On the high end, there are many examples of beautifully made images of
the highest quality that I would not consider clipart in the least.
They are fully realized illustrations.  Many of these have been Site
Picks.

how about desktop backgrounds - are those clipart?

http://openclipart.org/people/ted/ted_Hexagon_background.svg

http://openclipart.org/media/files/angiea/6817

how about gaming grids?

http://openclipart.org/media/files/roystonlodge/8084

what about all the maps at various scales - who thinks maps are clipart?

Are things that look like Powerpoint slides describing scientific
processes clipart?

http://openclipart.org/people/laurent/laurent_pH.svg

http://openclipart.org/media/files/laurent/4026

http://openclipart.org/media/files/laurent/4037

http://openclipart.org/media/files/laurent/8816

What about these templates?  http://openclipart.org/media/tags/
template (mostly the ones at the top)

Can I stop now?

I really don't want to be Solomon and start deciding what is and isn't
clipart.  Someone else would have a different list of suspect items.

> I guess the following is also relevant to this kind of topic. I'm
> getting frustrated with asking questions about "what do we do as
> Admins in this case or that?", and not receiving adequate replies to
> be able to do my job. I mean, yes, I can add tags, or make sure they
> fit the page boundaries...but that's not all there is to the librarian
> job.

We're all just winging it.  We make it up as we go along and try to
move toward consensus.

> I'm trying to make OCAL better. I refuse to get stuck on mediocre, and
> at the moment I'm starting to feel that OCAL is not moving forward,
> and maybe never will.

Just don't let perfect be the enemy of good.  It is a volunteer
operation, so don't get frustrated when things don't happen at a rate
like a normal business operation.

John