[Clipart] Odd upload. Need advice, Susan Boyle fansite CD cover.

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:59:32 PDT 2009

All good replies John.

So I guess this means that CD/DVD covers are acceptable to OCAL? -
(only if they are dedicated to Public Domain, not violating any
copyright, and in the svg format.)

On 6/1/09, John Olsen <johnny_automatic at mac.com> wrote:

> Admins have not judged the merits of what was uploaded in the past
> just as they have not judged the worthiness of a clipart based on
> quality.  To be frank, there are some very amateur submissions in the
> library but we let them stay.
>
> On the high end, there are many examples of beautifully made images of
> the highest quality that I would not consider clipart in the least.
> They are fully realized illustrations.  Many of these have been Site
> Picks.
>
> etc...
>
> I really don't want to be Solomon and start deciding what is and isn't
> clipart.  Someone else would have a different list of suspect items.
>

>> I guess the following is also relevant to this kind of topic. I'm
>> getting frustrated with asking questions about "what do we do as
>> Admins in this case or that?", and not receiving adequate replies to
>> be able to do my job. I mean, yes, I can add tags, or make sure they
>> fit the page boundaries...but that's not all there is to the librarian
>> job.
>
> We're all just winging it.  We make it up as we go along and try to
> move toward consensus.
>

>> I'm trying to make OCAL better. I refuse to get stuck on mediocre, and
>> at the moment I'm starting to feel that OCAL is not moving forward,
>> and maybe never will.
>
> Just don't let perfect be the enemy of good.  It is a volunteer
> operation, so don't get frustrated when things don't happen at a rate
> like a normal business operation.
>
> John

I am not looking to make things perfect. But I am looking to make them
better than they currently are. These are born out of a
"new-member/admin" experience. I believe I see OCAL with fresh eyes
and want to make things work better.

What kind of time frame can I expect on volunteer operations (for my
own expectations)? 3 years for something to be worked on or fixed
(when it is a simple thing), seems a long time for any operation,
volunteer or not.

What kind of numbers do we need for consensus?

Also, what kind of timeframe can I expect answers from the mailing
list? Am I going to fast for the pace? Who's actually active on the
mailing list? (I've never used a mailing list before so there is some
ignorance on my part on how well it works, and what a reasonable
timeframe is, let alone something being involved in opensource /
volunteer scene.)
--
Cheers
Chovynz