[Clipart] Fwd: misuse of one of our images

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed Jun 23 11:38:32 PDT 2010

chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:

> I'll follow up on the rest of Liftarn's collection when I get some time.

Here, I'll go through a few of the most recent ones.  I'm starting
from the most recent and working backward (on his user page, click the
New link, and start at the top), so someone else can pick up where I
left off.  So, here are the first (most recent) few...

Ones that look okay are indented.
Ones at the left margin, somebody else should look at.

  Teardrop trailer:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/67537
  Probably okay, barring any evidence to the contrary.  No source
  is cited, which given that he almost always cites his sources,
  and that he also calls this one a "simple drawing", probably means
  it's original.

Squat the World - Pirate Ship:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/18922
Very likely not okay.  Source site, radicalgraphics.com, says nothing
about the images being in the public domain.

  Raven silhouette:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/18257
  Looks okay.  Source website (fundraw.com) claims the image is
  public domain and that there are no copyright restrictions on usage.

  Dark haired woman with bangs:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/16044
  Looks okay.  Source website cites a Project Gutenberg investigation
  that found no evidence the (1955) copyright was renewed.

  Pin-up blue:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/15560
  Probably okay.  Source website, Wikimedia Commons, has it as {{pd-self}}.

  Skull:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/14228
  Looks okay.  Source website, Wikimedia Commons, says it is public
  domain because it is part of a statute, ordinance, official decree or
  judgment issued by a German federal or state authority or court.

Candle - 7:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/11204
Further investigation is warranted.  Source cited is a clip-art CD.

Washing machine:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/6622
Further investigation is warranted.  Source cited is a clip-art CD.

  Heraldic crescent
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/3165
  May be okay, barring any evidence to the contrary.  No source is
  cited, and it's a simple drawing, so it's probably original.

  The Charm of Oxford:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2944
  Looks okay.  Source site says it's from a 1920 book.

  Red winged star (Estrella_roja_alada):
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2901
  Looks okay.  Source site, Wikimedia Commons, says {{pd-self}}.

  Human skull (side view):
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2900
  Looks okay.  Source website, Wikimedia Commons, has it as {{pd-self}}.

  Human skull:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2899
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2898
  Looks okay.  Source site, Wikimedia Commons, says {{pd-self}}.

  Running pig:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2883
  Probably okay, barring evidence to the contrary.  No source cited.

  Warning for aliens:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2881
  Probably okay, barring evidence to the contrary.  No source cited.

  Adventurer Hat:
  http://www.openclipart.org/detail/2864
Further investigation is warranted.  Source cited is a clip-art CD.

Then I ran out of steam for now.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library