[Clipart] A few more images that might have public-domain issues

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:53:51 PDT 2010

You may not see them as derivative. Obviously they aren't "drawn" from the
same character.
This is what I'm asking is, how far do we take the extent of non-PD images
and the actual derivatives?
The (assumed) original author does seem to see them as derivative by using
the name and description.

In any case, it's a moot point since it seems that they already have a
licence on them.
http://www.crystalxp.net/news/en119-new-tiny-tux-is-here.html
http://everaldo.com/blog/ #Crystal Project released!

"Tux G2 are under the license Creative Commons by-nc-sa (read the
license)<http://www.crystalxp.net/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcreativecommons.org%2Flicenses%2Fby-nc-sa%2F3.0%2F>.
This license has been chosen in order to protect the work of the Tux G2's
authors from the abuses of some companies. However, each of the conditions
can be lift if you get permission of the author AND CrystalXP. The basic Tux
G2 has been designed/created/carried out by Overlord59 from CrystalXP.net
team."

Again, it seems that LGPL and PD clash. Is my understanding correct that we
can't have TinyTux, TuxG1, TuxG2 and
CrystalTuxDerived<http://www.openclipart.org/detail/60145>
on the public domain site of OCAL?

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Nathan Eady <eady at galion.lib.oh.us> wrote:

> chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > http://www.openclipart.org/detail/31387
> > http://www.openclipart.org/detail/10848
> > http://www.openclipart.org/detail/13007
>
> Those do not seem to me to be obviously derived from Ewing's image.
> I mean, they still look like penguin characters, but they're not
> obviously the *same* character (except for the name, arguably).  The
> style is just so different; I really don't see them as derivative to
> any meaningful extent.
>
> However, if their own creator has not released them into the public
> domain, then that's another matter.  The other link you provide does
> not appear to feature any images that I could compare to.

The images are the small icons to the left of the title. That page clearly
states who made them and what licence they are under. I think we can safely
assume that they are the same images as described by the text, descriptions
and icons.

I might have to remove them from OCAL since they aren't public domain. :(

Why are we using Public Domain again?

> --
> Nathan Eady
> Galion Public Library