[Clipart] Reg activating the developer account

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:10:58 PDT 2011

Hi Ryan

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM, ryan sukale <ryantechnical at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chovy,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I have been browsing through the list of bugs and blueprints in the
> milestone link that you have provided.
>
> I have a few queries.
>
> 1) I was unable to figure out the meaning of a few "Status" labels. For
> example
> Triaged
> Confirmed
>
> I guess there might be more of these. Where do i get the information of
> such tags from and what do you guys mean by it.

Triaged is a term that I don't really understand either, but nurses use it
to say which is most important for the doctor to see first. So in this
context I guess it means that someone thinks this is most important, or has
reviewed the bug and has said something like "Yes this is a valid bug".
Because I don't understand triaged I don't use it. If some bug is incomplete
or not implemented, then I will pick one of those to work on that is in my
skill set. Sometimes I deliberately pick things that are a challenge to me,
so that I will be forced to grow.

2) It seems you need someone to do some design work in these bugs
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openclipart/+bug/721520
>
> Since i cant understand the status tag, I am not sure whether it is done or
> it is still being worked on. Moreover the link mentioned by rejon for this
> bug takes me to the page "error file not found". I think, that's a broken
> link.

I think so too. It's a nondescriptive bug with a broken link that used to
work before we "fixed" the system. :-) However the title of the bug will
give us a clue as to "What was Jon thinking!" So we can then go to a real
clipart detail page to see what he means.
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/131161/lemon-by-gnokii . Is there a way
that you could make this look better? Streamline the usage perhaps? have a
play to see what you can come up with as a mockup first.

> 3) I thought i can mention the broken link in the comment thread for the
> bug, but I am not sure if its ok if I should be doing that since ive joined
> just yesterday. Or is it ok?

Yes, it's ok. You are an equal in OCAL development, so be bold. You might be
new, but you are now a developer, so be one. Point out things that need
fixing so that we are aware of it. Or fix it yourself :-)

> 4) I had an idea in mind regarding improving the "add to collection" link
> that you have. It could be made more ajaxy so that page refresh'es can be
> reduced. That was the main reason that actually made me want to join the
> project. I think, before i pitch in the blueprint, ill have to know a bit
> more about Aiki. I am not sure about what all i need to learn as of this
> stage. By the way I am a programmer by profession.

Cool! Talk to Brad Phillips about the "add to collection". That is/was his
baby. (But remember to be bold! We are all looking to improve the OCAL site,
(and AIKI) so if you think something can be improved, I am sure that Brad
will be enthusiastically grateful. :-) )

> *5) If i decide to make changes to the css or javascript or html, how and
> where do i test it before submitting it? Do i need to install Aiki and
> ubuntu locally, and download the source code for open clip art and install
> it? Right now i have no clue how to do either. But if required, ill
> definitely do it? Or is there a test environment?*

I don't use Ubuntu. I use WindowsXP, with Firefox and a number of software
development plugins installed. Firebug being one of them, and I make
extensive use of the DOM inspector and other features of Firebug. In
essence, I test my changes before I even log into OCAL Live to do anything
on the code.

As for the HTML and CSS, I usually test these things out on a test page that
I have created on the live site. Once I know it's working, then I move the
necessary code over to the relevant pages. I don't even bother with a test
environment because it's too progress slow for me. I see something that
needs doing? I do it. I am just careful with the things that I change on the
live site. Nothing like the threat of pulling down a website that is popular
to the magnitude of 10,000's daily visits to keep oneself's actions in
perspective. :-)

> 6) Instead of bugging you with all these queries, is there a page anywhere
> where such questions have been answered? If not, and such a page needs to be
> created, i can do that too, once i have got a hang of the system. For now, i
> just dont know where.

Bugging me is fine. I am here to help. I would prefer that you include the
clipart list in our conversations so that other people can learn from our
conversations and your questions, but that is a small issue, which I resolve
by including clipart mailing list in my replies. If you wanted to make
permanant specific questions you could also use the Questions feature on
Launchpad. The choice is yours really.

> Well, there are more questions, but I think I will tell you more once
> these initial things are cleared from my checklist so as not to overload you.
> Yet. ;-)

Touch­é!

Most important question is question 5. The one in bold and italics. Because
> i want to get started soon, since i think its gonna take me some time to get
> a hang of the system. And i dont use a linux system, so ill have to do it in
> a virtual machine. And then installation may take time too.

As I said before, I am not on a linux system, so this is a non-issue to me.
Use what suits you. The main thing to remember is that OCAL is made with
HTML and Javascript. You actually do not need to learn aiki if you don't
want to. Some of the keywords you'll pick up as you go along. If you DO want
to learn aiki then the best place to be is in the aikiframework with the
other members of the team. It depends where you want to focus your skills.
On the frontend of OCAL or the backend of the Aiki framework. (or both!)

What is your timezone? We could skype or IRC together sometime and I take
you through questions and modifying the site in a session. I am GMT+12

> Ok, last question - Is there some other place where i should be asking all
> of this?
>
> Thanks for your patience. Really feel sorry to be asking you all of this.
> But i have to know this.

The only dumb question is one that is not asked. I am glad you bugged me.
Keep asking, either here or on the questions in launchpad.

--
Cheers
Chovynz