[Clipart] [Press] PRESS RELEASE: Open Clip Art Library Unleashes Version 3.0: Collections, Favorites & Batch Management

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Thu May 12 13:27:08 PDT 2011

Help spread the word!

###

For Immediate Release:

Montreal, May 12, 2011

Today at the 6th Libre Graphics Meeting 2011 in Montreal, the Open
Clip Art Library along with its commercial stewards, the Fabricatorz,
have launched the biggest, most featureful version of everyone's
favorite public domain library of clip art, a collection that is free
to use for any reason.

Lead developer of Open Clip Art Library and Fabricatorz Developer,
Brad Phillips said, "This is our biggest release ever! We have fixed
loads of bugs, and Fabricatorz have been leading an effort to create a
traditional favorites system so all clip art may be rated by any
artist. We have been actively working to close bugs and implement
feature requests."

Additional features include a new sorting category, displaying on the
main page, that takes advantage of the new favorites system by listing
clip art according to most popular. There is now enhanced profile
management capabilities and also an ability to list links to a user's
different profiles. There are 50+ bug fixes on this 3.0 release that
make the entire project work smoothly. And, now its easy to generate
bitmap images on-demand, thanks to the contribution from user boobaloo
from the project.

A major feature added in this release is the batch management action
bar. This tool allows for librarians to add or delete clip art
searches and tags. For normal artists (users) it allows for the
ability to add to and remove clip art from collections. Collections is
a feature from the last release so that themed sets of clip art are
combined by someone.

As has come to be expected in recent Releases, a brand new Package of
themed clip art is out. Open Clip Art Library 3.0's theme is 'Famous
People', and the package contains dozens of newly created graphics for
all uses, many of which have been contributed by attendees of
workshops at LGM 2011.

For all users and services using the Open Clip Art Library,
Fabricatorz is a commercial production company that actively adds
features to the Open Clip Art Library. Fabricatorz founder, Jon
Phillips states, “The Fabricatorz stand ready to add desired features
like a Request System, an Artist Donation System, and a Showcase
section on the site. For any businesses, services or benefactors that
are interested in these features, we want to work with you to realize
new features on the project.”

3.0 Highlights

* Favorites system sprinkled throughout the site
* Most popular category on the main page
* Users can add multiple links to their profiles
* Batch management (collections and clipart management)
* 2 active events, famous people, doudou linux logo
* 50+ bug fixes
* Simpler personal information management
* Embed controls for clip art

Downloads

We now provide monthly customized packages related to monthly themes.
Please follow the url below to download the latest packages.

http://openclipart.org/packages

About Open Clip Art Library

Since 2004, the Open Clip Art Library (http://www.openclipart.org/)
aims to create an archive of user contributed clip art that may be
freely used. All graphics submitted to the project are placed into the
 Public Domain according to the Creative Commons Public Domain
Declaration. The site is powered by the Aiki Framework
(http://aikiframework.org), a new web framework using the AGPL
license. The Open Clip Art Library. Drawing Together.

About Fabricatorz

The Fabricatorz (http://fabricatorz.com) is a “open” production
company that makes successful  projects from start to finish,
including development and community  management. We specialize in Free
and Open Source Software, Creative Commons technology,  growing
on-line and off-line communities in San Francisco, China and  the Arab
World. Our core focus is in developing software using Aiki  Framework,
hardware using Qi Hardware, and community-building around the
philosophies of Sharism.

For More Information

* http://openclipart.org
* http://aikiframework.org