[Cogl] failure using cogl-gles2

Robert Bragg robert at sixbynine.org
Wed Jan 30 06:44:46 PST 2013

Hi Mahesh,

My guess is that your platform doesn't have a native gles 2.0 library available.

Although Cogl supports running against different GL drivers (GLES
1.1/2.0 and GL 1.x/2.x/3.x) Cogl currently only supports
CoglGLES2Context integration (required by webkit-clutter) when running
on a native gles 2.0 driver and would give the error you're seeing if
you tried to create a CoglGLES2Context while running with a full GL
driver.

If your platform does have a native gles 2.0 driver then maybe your
Cogl library just needs to be rebuilt with --enable-gles2.

The plan at some point is that we will support the CoglGLES2Context
integration even when the native driver is a full GL driver but to do
that we will need to play tricks with the gles 2.0 GLSL shaders to
enable them to run with a full GL driver.

Note if the workaround to set COGL_DRIVER=gles2 does work for you then
that should probably be considered a bug in webkit-clutter I think
because Cogl does have api to let an application explicitly override
the driver. In the case of webkit-clutter since the CoglGLES2Context
api is currently documented to only work with the gles2 driver then
webkit-clutter should probably be trying to explicitly create a
context with a native gles2 driver.

I hope that helps a bit.

kind regards,
- Robert