[colord] shared-color-profiles licensing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:17:15 PDT 2011

On 13 July 2011 07:03, Christopher James Halse Rogers
<christopher.halse.rogers at canonical.com> wrote:
> The licenses of most of the profiles are clear, however; Oysonar are
> under the zlib license, and Yamma are MIT (although they're copyright
> <some year> by those well known contributors, <copyright holders>).
> However, with the exception of sRGB.icm, ClayRGB1998.icm, and
> lab2lab.icm, the files in Argyll don't have a clear license, nor do
> AdobeGammaTest.icm, Fogra27L.icc or bluish.icc.

I agree this is tricky; the ICC specification only provides a
"Copyright" field, and this is clearly designed for proprietary
profiles that cannot be redistributed, rather than open source
profiles that specify a licence with conditions. It's also something
to bear in mind that something like the bluish profile is only really
9 floating point numbers that defines a 3x3 matrix, and so the
"copyright" and "licence" concept is very loose.

> Additionally it's not clear who holds the copyright of the files outside
> the Oysonar directory.

I'm open to relabelling the profiles with a new correct profile
string, or adding some kind of metadata encoded in the profile
PROFILE_licence and then leave the Copyright as just the copyright
rather than trying to encode two things in one string.

> Would it be possible to clear up these questions?

Sure, I'm open for ideas -- I think clarifying this now is a very good idea.

> (Why, yes!  I *am* preparing to try and get these packages past the
> Debian FTP masters!  How could you tell? ☺)

Well, then I owe you a beer or two. :-)

Richard