[compiz] Small questions about recent CVS commit

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Apr 12 15:14:44 PDT 2006

> Compiz isn't doing full focus-stealing-prevention yet

Yet? :(

Metacitys focus stealing prevention is one reason I jumped to Compiz so
fast. It breaks large numbers of popular apps (for instance, the gimp),
I have several bug reports assigned to me thanks to it sometimes
breaking Wine, and in general it's not a backwards compatible change at all.

It also cannot be turned off.

When this somewhat questionable decision was raised with the Metacity
developers I was told there was no way to switch it off because
"otherwise developers won't fix their bugs" .... not an impressive
answer given that the previous behavior was not buggy, doubly so because
for some things (like Win32 apps) it's hard to simply "fix" them.

I don't see what's wrong with simply having Compiz respect the "don't
focus me" hint like it does already then patching apps as you find them
to not steal focus. IMHO the heuristics Metacity uses are often totally
off the mark and should not be duplicated in Compiz (or at least, should
definitely be opt-out and probably not on by default ...)

thanks -mike