[compiz] Small questions about recent CVS commit

Dan Winship danw at novell.com
Wed Apr 12 15:42:05 PDT 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:
> I don't see what's wrong with simply having Compiz respect the "don't
> focus me" hint like it does already then patching apps as you find them
> to not steal focus. IMHO the heuristics Metacity uses are often totally
> off the mark and should not be duplicated in Compiz

The app can't avoid stealing focus without help from the windowmanager.
And there are no heuristics. The problem you're complaining about is
metacity's fallback behavior: if an app doesn't participate in the
focus-stealing prevention game, then metacity just always denies it
focus. I will probably make the default behavior in compiz be the
opposite, as you sort of suggest. (If the app doesn't set
_NET_WM_USER_TIME to anything, then it will always steal focus.) If
nothing else, this will let us see which of the two behaviors causes
more user complaints. At any rate, the focus-stealing-prevention
behavior will presumably be as ridiculously overconfigurable as
everything else in compiz, so don't worry about it.

-- Dan