[compiz] Lockup on VT switch

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 12:35:16 PDT 2006

Hi, I'm having trouble with Compiz and suspending on an i855GM machine
with X.org 7.1.1 (AIGLX) and Debian sid. If Compiz is running when the
resume process switches back to X after having suspended, my X server
locks. It is possible to ssh in and 'killall -9' it, but of course then
my session is gone and I have to log in again, defeating the purpose of
suspend/resume. I suppose, given the nature of Compiz and the related
peices, I'm not *surprised* that this happens, I was just wondering if
there was a workaround, known cause, or, heck, even a fix.

If I switch to Metacity before suspending and back to Compiz after
resume, there are no problems, but I would like to have my laptop
suspend when idle. Obviously, I won't be there to switch window
managers.

The i810 driver is version 1.6.5 from Debian experimental, and the
kernel is Debian's official 2.6.17-1-686_2.6.17-5 image. Compiz it the
freedesktop.org git tree with the Fedora Rawhide AIGLX patches.

I've tried some hacky stuff with suspend scripts, but since the window
manager runs as my user and the scripts run as root, it's hard to get
the right combination of magic to make something like that work. So I
was hoping there was a workaround for the underlying problem.

Thanks,
Andrew Barr