[compiz] idea for an effect

Ben Hardy ben2006-compiz at aethersanctum.net
Tue Aug 22 17:10:57 PDT 2006

Hey compiz folks,

I had some ideas for effects that might help us
cause more paroxysms of jealousy in non-compiz users:

It would be great if when you close a window, there were a number of
options to specify how the window dissappears:

1. fade to transparent (simple and classy!)
2. crack like glass into several pieces and fall off the screen in
interesting ways.
3. fly off the screen in a 3d kind of way (tilting, perhaps bending too)
4. sucked into a whirlpool/blackhole in the middle of the screen (or a
corner), becoming increasingly distorted by gravity as it goes
5. scrunched up like a piece of paper and tossed into the trashcan
6. Exploding in a hail of small pieces (like plate glass being shot).
7. Bursting into flames, burning and leaving a few lines from the
window, but the rest of it transparent, which then disintegrate like
ashes and fall off the screen.
8. random permutations of all of the above.

I haven't worked with the compiz code myself, yet, but if nobody else is
interested in implementing any of the above I'll give it a shot and put
it out there for folks to try. I like ideas #3 and #6 best, myself.

Thoughts?

cheers

Ben Hardy

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another
theory which states that this has already happened." - D.N.A.