[compiz] next release

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Thu Dec 28 06:48:03 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 08:55 +0100, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> David Reveman napisał(a):

> >> I'm not sure if this should be fixed upstream, but running compiz git on
> >> AIGLX has made the shadows of pretty much everything except windows
> >> (gnome-panel, menus, ...) appear as white boxes.
> >>
> >> I see that Fedora keep patching compiz[1] - is it planned to merge these
> >> upstream at some point, or is compiz/AIGLX officially unsupported?
> >
> > Please post the patches they are using. I'll of course a merge fix for
> > anything that is an actual compiz issue. But as neither Kristian nor
> > Søren has told me about these patches, I suspect that they might be
> > workarounds for issues elsewhere.
> >
> > -David

> Here you go. The two patches I have not included change the logo on the
> top of the cube to fedora's one and enable COW by default. I don't know
> what happened to Kristian and Søren, but the last four development
> compiz updates were done by Matthias Clasen and IMHO fedora's compiz
> looks pretty much unmaintained now (e.g. the desktop-effects program is
> busted). Cheers.

Thanks, comments below.

--------

aiglx-defaults.patch - Strict binding should probably be made default. I
don't think indirect rendering should though.

composite-cube-logo.patch - looks ok.

glfinish.patch - don't need this anymore. a more appropriate fix has
been applied to head.

icon-menu.patch - sure.

resize-offset.patch - makes sense.

restart.patch - I guess this one should also go in. However,

+    const char *clone[] = { "compiz", NULL };
+    const char *restart[] = { "compiz", "gconf", NULL };

is wrong. we should probably grab the current arguments here instead.

terminate-move.patch - not sure about this. if I can get the use case
that this patch fixes I'll probably be able to suggest a more
appropriate fix.

tfp-server-extension.patch - this has been mentioned before and it's
wrong. Both client and server side extension support must be checked as
compiz is currently doing.

------

So these patches are of interest: composite-cube-logo.patch,
icon-menu.patch, resize-offset.patch, restart.patch and
terminate-move.patch. I'd like to know who the author of each patch is
and that he/she is OK with them being included upstream.