[compiz] Re: Water plugin don't run error message: GL_ARB_fragment, program is missing

DaX at gentoo 6uncesso at infinito.it
Wed Jul 19 07:33:05 PDT 2006

>> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 23:09 +0200, reggaemanu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> In fact, for a Geforce TI 4200 card, and surely some others
>>> card... the problem is than GL_ARB_fragment program is
>>> available in a regular xorg server (so with nvidia drivers) ,
>>> and with xgl/compiz it is no longer available. So it is a
>>> problem with mesa right?
>>>
>> Mesa supports GL_ARB_fragment_program with indirect rendering, I
>> might have pushed a patch into Mesa at some point to make it work
>> but it must have been some time ago so mesa 6.5 and later should
>> be fine.
>>
>> ATI's and nvidia's GL libraries probably don't support
>> GL_ARB_fragment_program with indirect rendering so an application
>> linked to those will not see this extension even though xgl
>> supports it.
>>

> The NVIDIA GL libraries do actually support GL_ARB_fragment_program
> with indirect rendering, but we do not support
> GL_EXT_framebuffer_object with indirect rendering yet.  I believe
> this would also be required for the water plugin.
>
> Thanks,
> -James Jones
>

>> compiz must be linked to mesa's GL library to work anyhow so it
>> shouldn't be a problem there.
>>
>> -David

Ok but I haven't understood well: Could water plugin run with my
2001/2002 Gainward Geffo TI4200?
What is indirect rendering for U (for me is running all xgl and xorg
with the damned slow mesa library...)?
How can I link compiz to mesa's GL library? And will it go with this
solution?
I have the same problem also in a notebook with AIGLX and the videocard
is a Mobility Radeon 9200

P.S.: I can't buy a new Geffo becouse my motherboard is not PCI-E and is
not AGP 8x it only support AGP 4x...I have an old pc but it does
everithing I want...I'm not a hard gamer.

ByE all and thankU for the answers...i think that lot of U don't have so
much sparetime 4 this questions...especially who works at Novell...or
Suse...is Suse become a part of Novell?