[compiz] Re: Water plugin don't run error message: GL_ARB_fragment, program is missing

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 19 07:42:05 PDT 2006

DaX at gentoo wrote:
> Ok but I haven't understood well: Could water plugin run with my
> 2001/2002 Gainward Geffo TI4200?
> What is indirect rendering for U (for me is running all xgl and xorg
> with the damned slow mesa library...)?

Indirect Rendering is a technical term, not a point of view ;) I think
this page sums it up nicely:

http://principe.homelinux.net/

> How can I link compiz to mesa's GL library? And will it go with this
> solution?

You can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to force new/prefered linking paths. E.g. if
by default you use your gfx card manuf. binary version (you can check
with "ldd /path/to/program"), you can override it by:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/mesa/dir/

Then check again with "ldd /path/to/program" and you should see
different libraries begin used.

> ByE all and thankU for the answers...i think that lot of U don't have so
> much sparetime 4 this questions...especially who works at Novell...or
> Suse...is Suse become a part of Novell?

Novell has bought out Suse but I think they are still intending to
operate as separate brands for the foreseeable future? David/Matthias
care to correct me (I'm probably wrong!!!) ;)

Col