[compiz] Re: Water plugin don't run error message: GL_ARB_fragment, program is missing

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu Jul 20 02:23:44 PDT 2006

On Jul 19, 06 16:33:05 +0200, DaX at gentoo wrote:
> Ok but I haven't understood well: Could water plugin run with my
> 2001/2002 Gainward Geffo TI4200?

No chance. The GeForce 4 series doesn't have programmable pixel
pipelines.

> What is indirect rendering for U (for me is running all xgl and xorg
> with the damned slow mesa library...)?

All OpenGL commands a marshaled (packed) into pakets and sent to the
Xserver, which does the rendering.
In direct rendering, the client (programm) does the rendering himself.

> P.S.: I can't buy a new Geffo becouse my motherboard is not PCI-E and is
> not AGP 8x it only support AGP 4x...I have an old pc but it does
> everithing I want...I'm not a hard gamer.

An AGP 8x card does happily live in an AGP 4x slot. It won't run AGP 8x,
of course, but the slot is backwards and forwards compatible.
The difference between AGP 8x and 4x is barely noticable on all but the
fastes processors.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __