[compiz] 3 xgl/compiz problems

Deni Jelicic hrvat30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 19:04:20 PDT 2006

Hi Giovanni

I have exactly the same problems with KDE.

My video card is ATI 200M with the latest ATI driver and it works perfectly except for the errors that you have described. I use Opensuse 10.1 RC3 with the latest compiz and Xgl from factory

I tried to time when the menu items stops working however its random. The earliest time that I can recall that the menus stopped working are around 30 minutes into using KDE.  Like you said you have to restart compiz to get the menu back.

Another problem that I have in countered with the Kmenu is that the sub menus are sometimes under the main menu you can still see them perfectly however it does not look right.

I get the exactly the same corruption with xine as you do.

Hopefully David or someone can solve the problems to what seems to be nearly great program.

Just it is important to remember to the KDE related problems is that the problems only start to appear after some amount of time.

If you need more info please send an email and I would reply

Deni

Giovanni Masucci <gio.grifis at fastwebnet.it> wrote: Looking deeper to compiz/xgl I found three problems in my system that I
report to you hoping to be somehow a little useful.
I didn't find any of them using Xorg 7

First my testing environment:
KDE 3.5
latest XGL cvs - XORG-7.0
Nvidia FX5200 64Mb
Latest nvidia drivers
Kernel 2.6.16.1

XGL problems:
1) xine is somehow broken with xgl, even with no composite managers:
it is very slow even when you are not playing videos and its gui  is
corrupted:
refer to the photo:
ftp://ftp.divingway.it/httpdocs/img/other/xineunderxgl.png

2) other visual artifacts come when I try to play wmv videos with XV.
No problems with opengl, or others.
ftp://ftp.divingway.it/httpdocs/img/other/wmvunderxgl.png

Compiz:

1) sometimes with no apparent reasons menu stop showing up.
So if for example I try, to click on FILE/EDIT etc nothing appears.
Restarting compiz solves the problem for a while.

I hope to have helped you a little bit.
Sorry if I you already know about these. :)