[compiz] 3 xgl/compiz problems

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue May 9 16:37:44 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 00:15 +0200, Giovanni Masucci wrote:
> SORRY: bad urls, corrected this time:
>
> --------------
>
> Looking deeper to compiz/xgl I found three problems in my system that I
> report to you hoping to be somehow a little useful.
> I didn't find any of them using Xorg 7
>
> First my testing environment:
> KDE 3.5
> latest XGL cvs - XORG-7.0
> Nvidia FX5200 64Mb
> Latest nvidia drivers
> Kernel 2.6.16.1
>

> XGL problems:
> 1) xine is somehow broken with xgl, even with no composite managers:
> it is very slow even when you are not playing videos and its gui  is
> corrupted:
> refer to the photo:
> http://www.divingway.it/img/other/xineunderxgl.png

Bug in xine-ui, I created a fix a long time ago and it should have made
it upstream. I think that putting "SharedPixmaps off" in ~/.imrc will
workaround the problem.

> 2) other visual artifacts come when I try to play wmv videos with XV.
> No problems with opengl, or others.
> http://www.divingway.it/img/other/wmvunderxgl.png

Support for XV images with width that is not a multiple of 8 was broken
in Xgl. This is probably related to that. I just fixed this so please
give latest CVS version of Xgl a try and let me know if it's still not
working correctly.

> Compiz:
>
> 1) sometimes with no apparent reasons menu stop showing up.
> So if for example I try, to click on FILE/EDIT etc nothing appears.
> Restarting compiz solves the problem for a while.

Is this still a problem with latest CVS version of compiz?