[compiz] Feature Request: Viewport Switching Plugin

Jörn Reimerdes jrei at tzi.de
Mon May 29 02:57:03 PDT 2006

Hi,

First of all, great job! :)

I really like to organise my work on, former known "workspaces", now
"viewports". I use currently use 9 so I have 3 for work, 3 for private
applications and 3 for other projects.
Using the viewports like this it happens to have
3 browser windows,
6 Document Viewers,
9 Terminals,
1 Evolution,
2 IDEs and
>3 Gimp
The number of Windows and the organisation on the different viewports
makes the "switcher plugin" not really helpfull. The "cube plugin" makes
the viewportchange good looking but does not give any overview of the
viewports.

So here comes the idea for the feature:

Using an 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 matrix of viewports, rendered on a flat
surface. Using a keyboard shortcut like <Super> to zoom out of one
viewport to see the complete matrix of the screen. The viewport which
has the focus can be highlighted with not greyed out. Mouse over events
could switch the active viewport or the cursor arrows. Zoom back to
viewport with release of <Super>, press of space, return or mouse click.

I really think this would be a feature which helps you to get an
overview not only of your desk(top)/viewport/workspace but also over
your room/viewportS. It would help organising your work.

Just let me know if you like the idea and maybe give it a shot.

Greetings, Jörn