[compiz] the notorious "GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing" error

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Sat Nov 18 09:13:36 PST 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Ioannis Nousias wrote:
> I'm not reporting a bug (I know it's not the right place to do that anyway),

Why, it is the right place if you're ready to read all the answers :-)

> Once again I run into the famous "compiz: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is
> missing" error. The problem is I can't figure out what's wrong.
>
> I use fedora core 6 on an athlon XP with an ati RV250 and the radeon
> open-source drivers

I have the same issue with AIGLX of the Intel driver.

> running compiz reports:
> $ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose compiz --replace --use-cow --strict-binding gconf
> libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.2.0 r200 (screen 0)
> libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri//r200_dri.so
> drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
> drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
> drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
> libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
> libGL error:
> Can't open configuration file /home/ioannis/.drirc: No such file or directory.
> compiz: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
> compiz: Failed to manage screen: 0
> compiz: No manageable screens found on display :0

For me, LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 does the trick. Perhaps
--indirect-rendering is supposed to work too, but at least for me it
doesn't.

> but running glxinfo says:
> $ glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
> libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
>    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method,
>    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

At least here it's a "server glx extension" and a "client glx extension"
but not "GLX extension" as I recall it being under Xgl and as it is with
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1.

> glxinfo report that there is no "direct rendering". Compiz works fairly ok,
> although anything that uses lots of CPU makes compiz have hiccups (slows down
> significantly and all effects are "jumpy") and scrolling is slow in general.

I wonder if this just is the best you can currently get with this setup.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
                http://www.iki.fi/Tuukka.Hastrup/