[compiz] Looking for input

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Thu Nov 23 03:45:36 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, imnotpc wrote:
> Regarding the content of the website, there has been some discussion
> regarding using a content management system on the site. You can see it
> in this thread:
>
> http://forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=98&sid=669e6ecc0315feb3b6ae3ade3ae058f7

After reading your thread, I suppose the main points are something like
the following:

1. You don't like the current MediaWiki theme.

You could enhance it. Personally, I think it's great and more than we
need.

2. You think wiki markup is more difficult than HTML.

I can't see how. Of course you need to learn it if you have to know all
the tricks, but the learning curve is gentler for writers and editors.
There isn't a lot of content pouring in at the moment, would that change
with HTML?

3. You want a system for multiple languages.

I've never used a multi-language wiki (There's a separate Wikipedia per
language, with manual cross-references.) I would think namespaces,
categories and templates can be used to setup a good system.

4. You're afraid of wiki spamming.

Didn't happen yet and can be reverted. And in the end, the wiki can be
configured to require registration too.

Also in the beginning of the thread you raise the issue of the wiki
organization. I can't see what's wrong with it now, except for the plan I
sketched in my previous message about this topic. To clarify, developer
information isn't directly visible but behind "Develop it". And to think
of yet another version of "Use it", what about "Deploy it" or "Utilize
it"? These could convey the idea of giving the visitors what they need to
fully take advantage of installing Compiz.

> So the second question is: Is a CMS right for our site?
>
> My personal opinion is that we should decide what the CMS will be used for,
> then select one that fits those needs. I also think we should keep
> zootreeves's forum as it is and keep the wiki for documentation, but
> implement a cms for the rest of the site.

I personally would think that we don't need a CMS, because a wiki is a CMS
and more. What would you put in the CMS if not documentation: the front
page, the videos, download instructions, links to discussion forums,
development instructions? To give an example, Wikipedia is a huge
multi-language project which is able to do everything (front pages,
discussions and all) with MediaWiki, mailing lists, and a bug tracker.

I put some improvement proposals earlier at
http://go-compiz.org/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
                http://www.iki.fi/Tuukka.Hastrup/