[compiz] Tried out Beryl (Animation pugin)

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Oct 4 09:10:20 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 03:04 -0500, Erkin Bahceci wrote:
> Hi,

Hey,

I'm OK with adding this plugin to the compiz repository if you or
someone else can maintain it. Some notes below.

> I strongly suggest taking animation.c in Beryl svn rev. 465 or later
> instead of the version you attached, since the code has undergone lots
> of improvements (including better performance and new features),
> fixing, and cleaning up this week. The schema file should also be
> updated for the new version.
>
> I admit that I should have used the "privates" facility instead of
> putting disablePostprocessFX in compiz.h/beryl.h (this is used to
> communicate with blurfx in Beryl). I'll fix that some time. But
> indexCount would better go in the header file next to vCount, (the
> "vertex count = index count" assumption of Wobbly is not valid in
> Animation). Also, Wobbly would better be updated too, to use
> indexCount (and maybe texCoordSize) as is the case in wobbly.c in
> Beryl now.

Lets not add disablePostprocessFX for now as I don't know the details of
blurfx and I'm not sure exactly why it's needed. We can add it or figure
out a more appropriate solution when we need it. I guess adding
indexCount to CompWindow struct makes sense as we have a indices pointer
in there. I think texCoordSize should go into the animation plugins
private window struct for now as it's the only plugin that I'm aware of
that will make use of it.

Other than that I think it's OK to go in. Looking through the code
quickly I found that some code from the minimize plugin has been
duplicated. We might want to consider sharing some of that code by
putting it in the core.