[compiz] Tried out Beryl (Animation pugin)

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Oct 4 11:42:49 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 12:50 -0500, Erkin Bahceci wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> First of all, thanks for your great work with Compiz/Xgl :)
>
> I will put disablePostprocessFX in privates.
>
> For texCoordSize, we have the Blurfx plugin which needs it. And you
> might have other plugins in compiz in the future, which use the
> vertices and indices produced by another plugin (animation or wobbly)
> to do effects similar to blurring, reflections, etc., and therefore
> need texCoordSize. It's used together with CompWindow.texUnits so I
> think it would make sense for it to be in CompWindow instead of in
> privates.

OK, lets add texCoordSize then.

> And about the common code with minimize: Actually Animation was
> written to replace Minimize completely. I don't know if you would
> consider that as an option though. Otherwise, putting the common code
> in core can be considered.

I understand that it's a replacement and sure, if it proves to be stable
and well maintained I'll gladly deprecate the minimize plugin. However,
minimize effects are likely going to be implemented in other plugins and
it seems that especially the tracking of the icon geometry property
would be nice to share.

> Thanks.
>
> PS: I'm maintaining Animation in Beryl, but I don't have lots of spare
> time, so I can't promise to maintain it in Compiz as well (which might
> possibly be a different task if the two projects diverge more). Also,
> if people want future changes in Beryl's animation.c to be
> incorporated into Compiz's animation.c, I won't have time for the
> necessary conversion, testing, etc. for Compiz. So if somebody else
> (like Mike?) could take the responsibility of testing and maintenance
> on Compiz and, if necessary, inform me about bugs/problems, I would be
> glad.

You can always host it somewhere else. I'm working on making sure that
it's easy to use plugins that aren't hosted in the compiz repository at
fdo. I'd like to avoid having a lot of code in the compiz repository
that isn't maintained.