[compiz] Tried out Beryl (Animation pugin)

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 05:01:14 PDT 2006

David Reveman wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 23:30 -0500, Erkin Bahceci wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had thought that inter-plugin communication was possible through
>> "privates" without adding anything to compiz.h, but apparently it's
>> not (hence the name privates :) ). I guess this is only possible
>> through X window properties, right? Is there a way to do this type of
>> communication in a simpler way (and without modifying compiz.h)?
>>

> Yes, you should be using options. One plugin can read and keep track of
> options in other plugins. I've been thinking about adding some flag to
> the CompOption structure to indicate that a specific option shouldn't be
> exported so that configuration plugins don't get too busy when an option
> is changed rapidly.

Looks like they decided to write their own plugin communication system
instead.

Another nail in the coffin of interoperability, sometimes I really
wonder about the motivations of beryl.

http://metascape.afraid.org:13666/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/beryl-core/include/beryl_ipcs.h?rev=508&view=markup
http://metascape.afraid.org:13666/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/beryl-core/src/ipcs.c?rev=508&view=markup