[compiz] Re: [Fwd: Re: compiz coding style]

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Oct 6 11:42:29 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 14:09 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Mirco Müller wrote:
> > 	Another thing, which might be regarded as superfluous (as it serves no
> > real technical purpose), but worth considering. Give compiz a genuine
> > logo to identify it with. The beryl-project is doing the right thing in
> > that area (using gem-stones for its various parts). They try to define a
> > "brand" or general distincive logo/symbol to identify it with. compiz is
> > an empty void in space in that regard, thus unattractive as a project on
> > first sight. I assume this is needed to make compiz as is "attractive"
> > to gather a community around it.
>
> Before beryl became beryl quite a few people had done compiz logo's (the
> red cube with three graphics on it).
>
> The graphics will still be in CVS/beryl svn somewhere and probably on
> the forums too. Just have a look round and there will be some nice SVG's
> around. If all else fails ask in SVN.
>
> I agree with the need for a good website and community. That's where
> compiz.net succeeded really well and infact the lack of an official hub
> like this is one of the major factors that lead to the fork in the first
> place....

They could have created a good website and community around the fdo
version of compiz. I don't see why creating a good website and community
forced them into maintaining there own version of compiz.

My feeling is that the people behind the beryl fork never really tried
to work with me and the fdo version of compiz. Here's a copy of one of
the initial email replies I got from Quinn back in March this year:

Well, I can certainly post my changes to the list (I don't really work
in patches, I just keep a source tree around), and as for moving
discussion there, really our work in a forum works better for
us...maybe we need a compiz forum somewhere.