[compiz] Re: Fedora Patches

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Sep 20 08:36:23 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:27 -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been fixing a few bugs and glitches in our fedora compiz rpm and
> I wanted to post them here for review, in the hope that we could get
> them included before the upcoming release.  Without further ado:
>
>   cow.patch - add support for using the composite overlay window for
> GL output instead of rendering to the root window.  This is lets
> compiz run on AIGLX without the _COMPIZ_GL_INCLUDE_INFERIORS hack that
> we used to have.  The patch defaults to using the root window but adds
> a '--use-cow' command line option to make compiz use the overlay
> window.

Looks good. I'll probably change the default to use the overlay window
once I've verified that it works fine with xgl but please commit as it
is for now.

>   button-clicks.patch - only activate button actions (minimize,
> maximize, close) when the buttons are clicked using mouse button 1.
> Right now all buttons activate the button action, which is a bit
> unusual.  Metacity opens the window menu in this case, but the patch
> just disables the button actions for all other buttons that 1.

Please commit, if someone complains we can always make the old behavior
optional.

>   double-click.patch - this patch tightens the double click criteria,
> in that if the distance between the two clicks are greater than 8
> pixels it is not regarded as a double click.  This is in line with how
> GTK+ detects double clicks.  There's an X root window property or
> similar that defines the distance and the patch should read out that
> value, but for now the patch brings the behavior a little closer to
> what it should be.

Looks good.

>   fbconfig-depth-fix.patch - I mentioned this earlier, but didn't
> commit it because somebody reported a crash using this patch.  It
> turned out that the crash happened with the binary nvidia driver,
> which has fbconfigs without associated visuals.  The check for vi ==
> NULL handles this case, and with a couple of code style changes, this
> patch should be good to go.

Yes, make it something like that attached patch and it's ready to go in.

>   positioning.patch - fixes corner cases with big titlebar fonts which
> make compiz misplace the decoration input regions.  To reproduce this,
> try selecting a 20px titlebar font and notice that the upper or lower
> part of the titlebar does not receive input events.

This is OK to go in.

>   thumbnail-sorting.patch - almost a one-liner to drop a minmized
> window to the end of the window switcher list.

Also good.

Thanks Kristian, you can commit all these patches whenever you want.