[compiz] Re: gnome-window-decorator -> gtk-window-decorator and some restructuring

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 25 07:55:21 PDT 2006

David Reveman wrote:
> I haven't looked at the csm plugin. What configuration system is it
> using? Is it a new configuration system? In that case I'm curious to
> know why someone felt like there was a need to invent a new one.
>
> We can have 20 configuration plugins as far as I care. However, I'm not
> sure which ones should be hosted in the compiz repository on
> freedesktop.org.
>
> There's no gconf dependency. The only thing that depends on gconf is the
> gconf plugin. I don't see why there should be a desire to drop it, gconf
> is the current configuration system for the gnome platform and if you
> want to have compiz integrate properly that's what you would want to
> use.

It is a very simple configuration plugin that does not use gconf and
just uses a settings file in a users home directory and system wide
defaults.

It was created specifically to drop the gconf dependancy as this was a
PITA for the many, many people who wanted to run compiz but didn't run
know (e.g. KDE users). It was also able to generate enough meta
information to create a stand-alone configuration editor (/usr/bin/csm)
to allow people edit things nicely without the need to play with the raw
settings (cf gconf-editor).

All of this is now going to be called beryl-settings.

It may be worth considering. Feedback from users of my packages on
Mandriva prefer the usability of the csm conf backend and the csm editor
application over gconf/gset-compiz/gconf-editor. If there was a nice
interface to edit the gconf settings, it wouldn't really matter.

Hopefully the info is of use. I'm not arguing for or against, just
hopefully saving you some time - it would be a shame if you waste time
on this where you could be better employed doing the proper core stuff :)

All the best

Col.